Student Opportunity SU23 – Global Legal Epidemiology RAY Assistant
JOB TITLE: Global Legal Epidemiology RAY Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Mathieu Poirier
DEPARTMENT: Global Strategy Lab (www.globalstrategylab.org)
HOURLY WAGE: $20 per hour
WEEKLY HOURS: 12 hours per week
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Thursday, April 20, 2023 @ 11:59 p.m. ET
START DATE: May 1, 2023
END DATE: September 1, 2023
Global legal epidemiology is the scientific study and deployment of international laws, policies, and norms as factors in the cause, distribution, and prevention of disease and injury in a population.
Under the supervision of Dr. Poirier, the Global Legal Epidemiology RAY student will:
- Support ongoing work on a global legal epidemiology study evaluating the gendered effect of global tobacco control interventions
- Support the development of a global legal epidemiology study of tobacco control measures’ impacts in Europe over the last 45 years.
- Provide support to manuscript writing, grant applications, administrative duties, and communications activities related to global legal epidemiology
- Attend and actively participate in occasional Global Strategy Lab meetings and seminars.
- The Global Strategy Lab is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable environment that celebrates people in all their diversity and encourages a variety of perspectives. We recognize that different experiences and viewpoints are a source of strength in collaboration, and the driving force behind innovative, creative, equity-minded, and globally oriented research.
Specific research activities the student(s) will be engaged in:
- Searching for academic literature, and extracting and synthesizing information to support manuscript development
- Updating structured and annotated bibliographic reviews of existing literature
- Supporting statistical analyses using quasi-experimental designs (i.e., time series analyses)
- Managing sources using Zotero reference management software
- Supporting the presentation of findings to internal and external audiences
Type of research experience the student(s) will receive:
- Critical thinking
- Conducting literature review
- Improving writing skills
- Identifying appropriate journals for manuscripts
- Quantitative analysis
- Reference management
- Creating knowledge translation/communication materials
Type of training and support that will be provided to the student(s) in carrying out these research activities:
- Methodological training in data collection and analysis
- Subject matter training on global legal epidemiology and tobacco control
- Regular status meetings with your supervising faculty and staff
- Current undergraduate York student (we encourage applicants from diverse programs of study)
- Demonstrated interest in global health and tobacco control
- Demonstrated skills, experience, and familiarity with data collection and literature review
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures
- Excellent communication skills: professional email/phone correspondence
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, database management, spreadsheets)
- Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and take on initiative
- Demonstrates organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team with researchers, students, and staff
- Ability to read and/or write in other languages would be considered an asset
Applicants from diverse programs of study are encouraged. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit the following link for the Eligibility Criteria.
Applications are only accepted through the Career Centre. Go to Career Centre portal and search for the posting with the Job ID: 56374
List of applications materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing Sample
Applications will be accepted and considered until Thursday, April 21, 2022 @11:59 pm. We thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Global Strategy Lab welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process, please email email@example.com.
Please do not contact the Global Strategy Lab by phone; send all inquiries to