JOB TITLE: Finance Officer
SUPERVISOR: Susan Rogers Van Katwyk, Managing Director of AMR Programs; Mathieu Poirier, Co-Director of Global Strategy Lab
DEPARTMENT: Global Strategy Lab (www.globalstrategylab.org)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling – Application review begins on September 1, 2023
CONTRACT LENGTH: 2 years with the possibility of extension
Become the Finance Officer of a team that is at the forefront of driving global policy action on global health challenges.
The Global Strategy Lab advises the world’s governments and organizations like the World Health Organization on how to design laws, policies and institutions that address transnational health threats and make the world a healthier place for everyone. In addition to being a world class research unit with a long track record of bridging the gap between research and global health action, we have been designated as the WHO Collaborating Centre on Global Governance of Antimicrobial Resistance.
This is an exciting opportunity to deliver wider social impact on a global scale. Reporting to the Co-Director and the Managing Director, you will provide key financial administration to support our growing team. Specifically, you will:
- Prepare budgets and forecasts and advise on best practices and emerging issues related to the financial management of the Team’s resources;
- Support the completion of HR documentation including preparing ETFs and the submission of bi-weekly payroll forms to York Payroll for processing;
- Make recommendations on budget and financial management and planning processes, including standard operation procedures and policies;
- Analyze financial data for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to stakeholders (including end of grant funding) and internal management;
- Prepare financial forms for processing, e.g., claims for reimbursement of expenses, purchase requisitions, accountable advances, journal transfers, travel expenses, wire transfers, non-resident payment forms, etc.;
- Create budget status reports and regularly reconcile transaction details in general ledger and on purchasing cards, etc.;
- Liaise with the Finance Officer in the Faculty of Health regarding monthly reconciliations, and other York University offices related to financial processing, payroll, and cost centre management;
- Ensure all financial transactions adhere to polices set-forth by York University and our funders; and
- Other duties as required.
WHAT YOU BRING
Education and Experience
- A post-secondary degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience); and
- 2-5 years prior administrative and financial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other spreadsheets, databases, and procurement and financial software (e.g., Concur, eReports, etc.);
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to develop creative strategies;
- Judgment, tact and diplomacy in interacting with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, discretion, and deal with sensitive or confidential information;
- Willingness to take initiative, work in a self-guided manner, care for multiple priorities and to demanding timelines; and
- Ability to work within established procedures as part of a global and diverse team with sensitivity to language, culture, and remote working arrangements.
Desirable Experience (but not essential)
- Experience in non-profit organizations, start-ups, research hospitals, consultancies, and/or university research group settings;
- Knowledge of a university’s financial processes, policies, and procedures; and/or
- Understanding of academic grant funding and reporting processes is a strong asset.
COMPENSATION AND TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
Annual salary will range from CAD $62,000 – $70,000 depending on the individual’s experience and education. The Lab’s commitment to pay equity necessitates that we will not be able to offer a salary outside of the range provided. The successful candidate is expected to work approximately 40 hours per week. There is one position available.
The Global Strategy Lab is based at York University and new team members will benefit from close ties to the Lab’s existing impact-driven research program and networks. We will preferentially hire a candidate who can contribute to in-person work activities in Toronto but reserve the option to hire a candidate that requires remote working arrangements. Our team has developed a highly functional hybrid work model since our establishment as a bi-campus Lab and team members divide their time between home- and office-based working days.
The Global Strategy Lab is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable environment that celebrates people in all their diversity and encourages a variety of perspectives. We recognize that different experiences and viewpoints are a source of strength in collaboration, and the driving force behind innovative, creative, equity-minded, and globally-oriented research.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email the following as pdf attachments to email@example.com using the subject line FO-2023-001:
- In a single pdf file titled LastName_FirstName, a CV and cover letter. The cover letter should highlight your experience carrying out key administrative and financial tasks in a team environment;
- A completed copy of the work status declaration form linked here.
We will start reviewing applications on September 1st, 2023. The candidates short-listed for an interview may be asked to complete a skills-based task as part of the interview process.
We thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority.
The Global Strategy Lab welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact the Global Strategy Lab by phone; send all inquiries to